Continuing on our zeal to learn automation via Selenium, let’s learn the steps for Eclipse Download on Windows. Hope you have completed the prior steps 😉
- Selenium | The Android of Web Automation Testing
- What is meant by Selenium WebDriver?
- How to install Java Development Kit (JDK) on Windows
What’s Eclipse IDE?
To understand what’s IDE – click here.
Eclipse is the most widely used Java IDE in the programming world. It contains a base workspace and an extensible plug-in system for customizing the environment. Eclipse itself is written mostly in Java and its primary use is for developing Java applications, but it may also be used to develop applications in other programming languages through the use of plugins. The initial code base originated from IBM VisualAge. Released under the terms of the Eclipse Public License, Eclipse SDK is free and open-source software.
Trivia: Eclipse IDE doesn’t have an installer. Surprised? Yeah, that’s right. You don’t need to ‘Install’ Eclipse. So if we have the Eclipse Download, that’s it – start using it (eclipse.exe) 😉 simple, right? Just double click on the file and there you go!
Steps for Eclipse Download on Windows
1. Go to official Eclipse website – download.
2. Search for ‘Eclipse IDE for Java Developers’ option
Java SE and Java EE
Java technology is both a programming language and a platform.
- A high-level object-oriented language that has a particular syntax and style.
- A Java platform is a particular environment in which Java programming language applications run.
All Java platforms consist of a Java Virtual Machine (VM) and an application programming interface (API).
- The JVM is a program, for a particular hardware and software platform, that runs Java technology applications.
- An API is a collection of software components that you can use to create other software components or applications.
Each Java platform provides a virtual machine and an API, and this allows applications written for that platform to run on any compatible system with all the advantages of the Java programming language. Java SE (Java Platform, Standard Edition) and Java EE (Java Platform, Enterprise Edition) are one of the four platforms for Java programming language.
- Java SE’s API provides the core functionality of the Java programming language. It defines everything from the basic types and objects of the Java programming language to high-level classes that are used for networking, security, database access, graphical user interface (GUI) development, and XML parsing.
- The Java EE platform is built on top of the Java SE platform. The Java EE platform provides an API and runtime environment for developing and running large-scale, multi-tiered, scalable, reliable, and secure network applications.
Steps to download Eclipse IDE – continued…
3. As with Java, Windows users need to know their system OS specifications – if it’s a 64-bit or 32-bit Windows. Click on the download option for your OS version.
4. Save the .zip file on your system
5 Once downloaded, you need to extract the .zip file (that’s obvious ;-)) which in turn will create an ‘Eclipse’ folder.
6. Generally I prefer saving / installing all the software in my C: drive, thus creating the folder “C:eclipse”
7. Let the extraction process complete
8. Once done, navigate to the Eclipse folder. Since Eclipse IDE doesn’t have an installer >> just double-click on the exe file and Whoa!
Now every time you don’t want to navigate to the Eclipse folder and then double-click the .exe file. Yeah! It’s boring. Way out? Just right-click on the .exe file and select either ‘Pin to Task bar’ or ‘Send to >> Desktop’. Next time you will be able to launch Eclipse IDE from the task bar or the desktop.
Welcome to the world of Java programming 🙂
Looking for a Job Change in QA/Testing technology? Get Regular Job notifications @ WhatsApp!